Friday, August 14, 2015

A lesson in Namlish


Because it's Friday and I'm in a fun mood, I have decided to enlighten some of you folks in the states with a little language lesson. Since I've been in Namibia I have learned that although English is the official language, Namibians have their own special version. Although sometimes confusing when first heard, I have grown to love this Namlish and even use it in my daily life now. So, why not fulfill a Peace Corps goal and send some of this cultural flavor back home? Below is a list of common Namlish phrases/slang I have learned and my interpretation of the meanings.



Namlish = What it means (at least to me)

"Nee?" = You add this onto the end of a sentence, like saying "You understand, right?" 
Ex: "That is where you work, nee?"  

"I am coming just now." = This could mean someone is going somewhere now or coming to you now. 

"Is it?"  = This is like saying "Oh really?"

"Now now" This either means something is happening right now, or in an hour from now.

"Eish" This is an exclamation used in many circumstances. But mostly it is used like "Oh man!"
Ex: "Eish, that is expensive!"

"Atatatatata" Generally it is used to show a form of disapproval. The more 'tas' the more disapproval. 
Ex: "She was out so late. Atatata."  

"Just there" This is used when the person assumes you know where they are referencing. It could mean it is very close by or nowhere nearby. 
Ex: "My house is just there." 

"And the what what" Used like etc or to fill in something that you already know.
Ex: "We bought meat and the what what"

"Are we together?" =To check understanding with others around you. Like, "Do you understand?"

"Sharp sharp"  Often used to say yes or to show your approval.

"Yabo"It means yes.

"Paining" It usually means something is hurt or aching.
Ex: "My head is paining."

"You must..." Although it might sound like you are required to do something, it is actually just a request.
Ex: "You must give me your number."

"He/she is not serious." Used like, "They must be joking, right?"

"Is having...." Can mean a few things. It either means someone has something or that they are rich.
Ex: "She is having a lot of children." OR "That PCV is having."        


I have also figured out, that you can add -s to the end of any word and it will transform your average English word to Namlish. For example, I am often greeted with 'Hellos' or 'Mornings'. 

That is your first lesson in Namlish everyone. Give yourself a pat on the back for making it through and now go forth and conquer that shabeen! Or Chiptole/Dunkin Donuts/Cheesecake Factory/Buffalo Wild Wings/#Allthingsdelicious if you are one of the lucky ducks that has access to one. (Food envy in full force)


No comments:

Post a Comment