Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Breakfast tacos (Namibian-style)

If you've known me for more than 5 seconds, you know I'm from Texas and have a deep love of Mexican food. Like real deep, I would say it probably holds 50% of my heart. Well, what is a Texan to do in Namibia where Mexican food is nowhere to be found? Make it every chance you get. So here is a little recipe of my most recent favorite version of a breakfast taco. (Although I never eat it for breakfast)

Ingredients:
3 green bell peppers
1 yellow onion
1 can Mexican style tomatoes
2 eggs
Splash of milk
Tortillas (Or roti is a good substitute)
Cheddar cheese
Butter
Cholula... if you have it

Directions:
First, start out by chopping the peppers and onions into bite size pieces. Then add butter or oil to a hot pan and throw those bad boys in there. Cook until caramelized and soft. Grate the cheddar cheese, if it's not done already. I like to butter my tortilla and throw that in the pan next. It makes it a little crisp and a bit more sturdy to handle the filling. Next, I whisk up 2 eggs with a bit of milk and salt and pepper. Scramble the eggs on low heat. When they are just about done, add in the peppers, onions, tomatoes, and cheese. Continue cooking until the cheese is melted and the eggs are done. After that, load up your tortilla or roti with the eggs and get to chomping. Splash on Cholula if you have it. 

Tips:
The green peppers, onions, and can of tomatoes usually make about 5 or 6 generous servings. So I sometimes cook them all for dinner one night, then keep them in tupperware for another night. I always make the eggs fresh though. 
You can mix these basic ingredients up and add meat or avocado to keep it interesting. 
If you are at a Namibian grocery store and they are confused when you ask for tortillas, try asking for "wraps". They usually know what those are. Also, I always find mine at Spar in the freezer section. 

It's no Torchy's, but it works for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment