Friday, September 18, 2015

Ladies Weekend

Few things make me happier than spending time with my favorite gal pals and relaxing by a pool with a fruity cocktail. Well, this past weekend I was able to do just that. I took a weekend jaunt over to Mariental to see some rad women.


Friday started off like any Friday does, with most of my students not showing up to class and a wave of disappointment. But soon, the excitement of being out of site hit me like a bag of rocks and I was ready to get over myself. Luckily, Sinthu and Melodisa had already arranged the best of rides from Windhoek to Mariental. So I was able to just hop on that party train and get to the destination with them. I mean this car came with real glasses, ice, diddle daddles, a small handgun, and all the Appletiser I could drink. What more could I want?
The blue???

After arriving, we got to see one of my favorite humans, Julia. The weekend was planned to celebrate her birthday with a slightly smushed cake. A little bit later, my babajie Catherine arrived and the party was complete. Our lady wolf pack was formed and ready for adventures. We went to the local Afrikaner restaurant, where I ate more pasta and cream than I would care to admit. Totally worth it though. Afterwards, we put all of the china mattresses on the floor and formed the slumber party properly. It may have looked like a homeless shelter, but it was my homeless shelter and I was damn happy to be in the middle.

Tanning, the usual
The next day, we lazily woke up and went to breakfast. And by breakfast, I mean I had a schnitzel burger and chips. Because that's what real Americans do. A little bit later we piled into the car and went on our big adventure to a local lodge. When we arrived, it felt like I was stepping our into a resort; which I was, but it was within PC budget since they were not charging us to use the facilities. The bartender wonderfully concocted our crazy requests which included a pink mojito, a Malibu margarita, and Catherine's bold choice of "Surprise me." I can say that none of us were disappointed to be sipping cocktails in a real pool.
Great face 
Later on, we peeled ourselves away from the refreshing beverages and cool water to enjoy some fine dining. Once we finished dinner, we noticed some springbokkies were grazing nearby. Like other white people, we decided to stalk them and see how close we could get. I would say about 50 feet away was close enough for us and them. We accepted the distance and went on our way. Once we arrived home, I had the brilliant idea that the birthday cake should be cut like a wedding ceremony. Thus, a staged photo session ensued and cake was eventually eaten. We relaxed in stretchy pants while watching Miley Cyrus ruin the VMAs. Julia experimented with some henna on my foot and it almost worked. (We know for next time that when the directions say let it sit for 10 hours, they actually mean 10 hours.)

Sunday was just as leisurely- waking up late, cracking some jokes, facebook stalking Group 42, and sipping on some tea. You know, the usual. Alas, I had to return home to my cats and no pants zone (aka my flat.) After even more food, we parted ways and I got in a random car to leave. The driver was nice, far less creepy than anticipated, and we had a silent ride back to my community. I arrived home to my cats' incessant meowing and the realization that they did not do my dishes while I was gone. What jerks.

I don't say it often enough, because I have a tendency to be slightly socially awkward, but I love these girls and our random times together. I am lucky that they invite me into their cuddle puddles and accept my eccentricities. Peace Corps is all about finding people just as strange as you are and making them your buddies. (They should really consider changing the slogan to that so people know what they are getting into.)


1 comment: