Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Dude where's my life?


If only it was real...
Everyday is like Groundhog day for me. I go to sleep at night, in my cozy bed cuddling with my cat. And in the morning, without fail, I wake up thinking I'm back in the states. Some sort of ninja mind game is played on me every night. I dream that I am back in the states and I wake up thinking I am absolutely not in Namibia for a solid 2-3 minutes.

That face though.
The variations of dreams is extensive. It ranges from having a classic lazy night eating all the junk food with my best friends and then I think I am waking up on their couch, to I am playing with my badass niece and she is waking me up in the morning with her goofy giggle and telling me I need to come see Mao. No matter what I am thinking about before I fall asleep, I dream of my life back in the states. And I wake up thinking I could for sure walk out, get in may car, and drive to Whataburger for breakfast. Imagine my extreme dismay when I realize the closest Whataburger honey butter chicken biscuit is about 7,000 miles away.
Who wouldn't want to be in a bed with these ladies?

Of course, I've tried to figure out the root of this and I would love to blame it on some form of malaria drug hysteria. I'm sure you guys who practice the art of dream books could tell me all sorts of hidden meanings behind this, like that I am rejecting the Peace Corps and wish to be home or that I am uncomfortable in my own skin. But I think it is much simpler than that. I have lived in the United States for almost 26 years and it's the only thing I've ever known. So it makes complete sense that I will dream of my life there. I have not seen and experienced enough of Namibia for it to be embedded in my subconscious yet.
We will be reunited

Maybe when I finish this journey and move back to the states, I will only dream of Namibia for a period of time. I could wake up wondering if my water will turn on or if Spar is out of peanut butter (God forbid). It's completely possible. But for now, I'm going to embrace my dreams of my previous life. It will be like a little part of me travels all the way back to AKate47's couch, a crowded Torchy's, or floating the river with H$ every night. It may be escapism, that sometimes leaves me hangry when I figure out I cannot get ramen or sushi at will, but it's a little space of comfort and happiness I will fully embrace for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment