Thursday, September 24, 2015

Simple things that create (my) happiness

Like give-up-and-pass-out-in-a-yard rotten
Some days, I may be feeling rotten. There are a myriad of reasons why that might happen; my project is a mess and my students don't show up, I got in a fight with the postman, or I burned my dinner and don't have anything else left to cook. And in moments like that when all I want to do is turn on a Nicholas Sparks based movie and cry, I have to reach deep and find the little things that will make me happy. Sometimes it can be incredibly difficult to remember that list in the moment, so I thought I would type that list out for myself... and for your casual enjoyment. Welcome to my happy place! (Please leave your anger and haterade at the door.)

1.     The opening credits of The Newsroom
2.     When I get to Spar just in time for warm garlic rolls
3.     A text from my bestie that perfectly describes how she just gets me
4.     Making fun of the tourists with the locals
5.     Anytime I get to Facetime with my badass niece and we argue debate about Harry Potter
6.     Sitting outside reading an entertaining book and absorbing all the sun I can
7.     An email from a friend back home, just letting me know they miss me
8.     Any Buzzfeed article that involves cats
9.     Getting my Instagram filters just right to create that perfect blend of artistic and candid
10.   When I am hangry and remember I have a Little Debbie hidden away from a previous care package
11.    If I choose a random playlist on Spotify or 8tracks and it turns out to be perfect, like it's in my mind or something
12.    Anytime learners ask me questions and it's not to request money
13.    Leslie.freaking.Knope14.    When I see my students at Spar and they introduce me as their teacher to their coworkers
15.    A nice relaxing bath with scalding hot water
16.    Anytime I am pantsless with a rad pair of socks on my feet. It feels very Risky Business and very right.
17.    Discovering a new American product in a local store. Like M&M cookies at the gas station and Snickers at Clicks
18.    Putting an outfit together that is the perfect combination of comfy, breezy, and presentable
19.    When I notice I am out leg-pressing the guys at the gym
20.    Having a polite conversation with my taxi cab driver where they are inquisitive but not creepy
21.    Playing with babies... or puppies... or kittens... or anything soft and adorable
22.    Learning new curse words in Damara from the aunties at my project
23.    Getting a brilliant idea and remembering it the next day24.    90s paraphernalia and Lisa Frank
25.    Having an entire conversation in Afrikaans and understanding at least 70% of what the other person said
26.    Figuring out a new shortcut around town
27.    Curling up in the quilt my Nini made me and it still smelling like home
28.    Getting my side braid just right- a little messy but in a boho way, you know?
29.    My pedicure (that I gave myself) lasting more than a week
30.    When the avocados are already ripe at Spar and I don't have to wait 5 days to eat them
31.    Anytime the Fightin' Texas Aggies win
32.    Beating a level on Candy Crush that I have been trying to get through for over 3 days
33.    Sleeping past 7am on the weekends
34.    Seeing how ridiculous Afrikaners look in those little bitty shorts. Also getting a picture of it to add to my collection
35.    When a dog comes up to me and it's not to bit or chase me

So when you just want to curl up in a ball and become a hermit forever, find the little thing that makes you happy and embrace it. Whether it's rapping with Fetty Wap in your room or inhaling a bag of Peanut Butter M&Ms, get in there kid. Treat yo self!


No comments:

Post a Comment