Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Why I never thought I would miss Okahandja, but I do.

Okahandja was the home of our pre-service training and consequently, what kind of feels like home to me in Namibia. Our whole group of 31 people began the PC journey here and it will probably shape our service somewhat. When we first arrived in country, we were whisked away on a charter bus to Okahandja. At the time, I had no idea what to expect or imagine for my living situation or training experience for the next 2 months. When we arrived at the training center, we were greeted by two lines of singing and dancing Namibians. Talk about surreal, I am stepping off of a bus in Africa and people are singing to me in a language I don't understand. I cried. They were not sad tears, but tears of being overwhelmed. Overwhelmed by the beauty of the little bit of country I had seen so far. Overwhelmed by the emotions of those around me. And overwhelmed that I was experiencing something so incredibly foreign to me, yet insanely inspiring.

Next we were dividing into our summer camp sytle rooms, complete with bunk beds and mosquito nets. Shay, Steffie, Alex, and Catherine were my wonderful roommates who put up with me saying the first night, "I hope you guys are ok with my booty shorts, because I just can't deal with pants in bed." (My American friends will now be laughing at how true that statement is.) Side note: These girls were amazing and I often wish I could do that first week over so I could have expressed that more.  We stayed in this summer camp life for about a week. We had a little cabana/patio where we would congregate each night, ate all of our meals together, and reluctantly shared a communal bathroom where hot water was sometimes scarce. But it was perfect. At night, we would hang around talking, listening to music, playing Cards Against Humanity, reading, journaling, you name it. This is where we started to bond and this is where we started to become a family. We also went to class everyday, even when deliriously tired from the jetlag, but at the time that was less important.
My language group and our adorable Tannie


Soon, we were transitioned into the homestay phase of training. We were paired with our families and suddenly, I was experiencing a life I had not experienced before. I now had a mother, sister, and 6 host brothers all living in a 2 bedroom house. I was not prepared for this life, but I am now so thankful that I experienced it. Things started off rocky at first, mostly because I preferred being in my room crying as opposed to being a family member. But soon I got over myself and became the big sister I should have been. Louda is now my mom and it feels weird calling her by any other name. Charnay is my sister and I still call her once a week to make sure she doesn't have a boyfriend and is doing her homework. Creswyn is my little brother and the poor thing misses me so much he keeps threatening to come and live with me. Because of Jason, I will forever know the Spongebob theme song. These guys are my family now. Whether it was watching Indian soapies at night, going on our little walks, or them horrifyingly watching me cook, it was a delight to be welcomed into their home and hearts. Veddersdal always has a room open for me now and I hope to cash in on that soon. Plus I have the kids for August break, so I will have fun putting off my "biological clock" with that little vacation.

Mom and Charnay at American Cultural Day
My home in Okahandja

In addition to homestay and training, we also got to know Okahandja on our own terms. Without fail, I went to Spar at least once a day. Usually for apple juice and a pie in the mornings, then asking the ladies to make me my own special chicken salad sandwich for lunch. Although they started joking with me at the end about not having it, they always came through. In the evenings, we would usually congregate at our favorite bar Li-Janis. Lina and Jan took such good care of us, sometimes in my case a little too good. Ahhh, it was the best of times and it was the worst of times. Without fail, on Thursdays and Fridays there would be trainees there. I think we were their main business source, as I know at least, that they got a fair share of my American money. But it was nice to just sit around the picnic tables, hopefully with music coming out of a portable speaker, and de-stress with the only other 30 people who knew what I was experiencing. Plus the kumbi rides were pretty hilarious after one of the rowdy nights. On the weekends, we started congregating at Spur. Although completely racist and a chain, it did serve a damn fine burger. So when I would be hungry from not eating my home food for several days (Sorry Mom, I just couldn't do more brown gravy), I would indulge in a massive burger with mushroom sauce. We would all sit around either eating, using the wifi, or some combination of both. Multi-tasking at its finest.



One of our nights at Li-Janis

Other fun memories include: Shoving 8 people into a hatchback taxi so we could make it Vdal by curfew. Gail's host dog following her into Spur and then eating a steak under the table. Not knowing if we were being stared at in Rhino's because we were Americans or because I just found out they had Coke floats and squealed a little. Escaping to forbidden shabeens. Playing the never-ending game of Marry, Fuck, Kill and the surprising answers. Having Alex's "boyfriend" drive us home and listening to Ed Sheeran for the millionth time. The time my secret vodka was busted and I had to communicate to a creeper to get a refill. My first time seeing and hearing a goat be butchered, on a table that I think we later used in class. Skipping Tannie's Afrikaans class because I had senioritis and she couldn't say no to me. Every morning where we would try to sing and fail miserably, so Rachel would cut us off. Remsey popping out of a tent at the Herrero Coronation, just when we had given up looking for him. Any dance-off where Phil is included. That time I was put into a headlock and fell asleep like that. Every single morning at the bus stop. Movie night and slushies. The freakin expo where I learned how to dance like a Namibian and run away from our denim-clad security officer. Singing the Namibian national anthem while mostly intoxicated. Sitting in the sun, just absorbing it like the pale face I am. Every time Mama Rosa spoke, because she has a presence. Maureen stealing cups, sometimes when they still have ice in them. Walking into a room where a lady just gave birth or is still kind of in the process of giving birth. Playing barefoot soccer with the local kids my first week. Uptown Funk still being a thing. Remix to Ignition will always being a thing. Jan knowing my drink order and starting it when he saw my face come through the door. Trying to figure out how to talk to Alex without a phone. My kids making fun of how I saw "Asseblief". Allison when she would say "Scone Ass".


And a million more...  (which hopefully I will keep adding as I think of them.)



Hanging with my best booze buddies

How many people can you shove in a bakkie?

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! Reminiscing now 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coloring outside the box has always been your thing. Good post.

    ReplyDelete